Sunday, March 30, 2014

Terrace Garden





Cross posted from my Wordpress blog here

Our apartment in Ahmedabad has this huge terrace that immediately inspired a terrace garden and a home composting unit, I wrote about here.
In the last three years cultivating this terrace garden, I have grown, potatoes, lemons, tomatoes, chillies, aubergines, bitter gourd, okra and of course herbs, mint, coriander, curry leaves, and lemon grass all nourished with home made compost. It is so satisfying cooking vegetables you grew yourself. :)

It is amazing how easy tomatoes, lemons, chillies, potatoes and bitter gourd are to grow. They are really the easiest. I currently have about a dozen tomato plants and I easily get half a kilo every two days. I almost never have to buy tomatoes and lemons since the last 2 months, except when I need a lot at once. Of course lemon grass just grows and grows, you don’t have to do a thing. Okra and aubergine are a bit complex. You have to pick them at the right time otherwise they get too hard and then they are only good for their seeds. But I encourage you to try tomatoes, even if you grow it on a balcony or a window sill, when you see the first fruit, it will be uncomparable joy. And if you have children, it is so much more amazing. I show my plants to all the kids who come to my house and they are always fascinated to see an aubergine or a tomato not yet ripe, still on the plant – a first experience for many of them.

Here is some of my most successful ‘crop’:


IMG_9694


20140331-113220.jpg20140331-114200.jpg

20140331-114119.jpg
20140331-113239.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment